While trying to come up with a blog topic this week, I decided to look for information about “Mindset” to help me understand how it affects our life and success.
Definitions of Mindset
- Google: “The established set of attitudes held by someone.”
- TheFreeDictionary.com: “A fixed mental attitude or disposition that predetermines a person’s responses to and interpretations of situations.” –
The first Google result was for Dr. Carol S. Dweck’s book: MINDSET: THE NEW PSYCHOLOGY OF SUCCESS and I was drawn in. To my surprise her insights are quite close to mine.
- “In a fixed mindset, people believe their basic qualities, like their intelligence or talent, are simply fixed traits. They spend their time documenting their intelligence or talent instead of developing them. They also believe that talent alone creates success—without effort. They’re wrong.”
- “In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment. Virtually all great people have had these qualities.”
~from Dr Dweck’s website: What is Mindset: http://mindsetonline.com/whatisit/about/index.html
I took the free online quiz and was quite happy with the results. It gave me confirmation that the way I see myself being the outsider, the square peg that does not fit into the round hole is quite accurate and gave me encouragement to keep on doing what I am doing.
Growth Mindset Resources
- Take the online quiz to find out your mindset
- Dr Dweck’s 10 minutes video explains how you can “Develop a Growth Mindset”.
- Professor Carol Dweck’s 44 minutes video ‘Teaching a growth mindset’ at Young Minds 2013
- 7 minute video book review of Dr Dweck’s book: MINDSET: THE NEW PSYCHOLOGY OF SUCCESS
- A written book review from www.brainpickings.org
- Dr Dweck’s MindsetOnline website
- Dr Dweck’s book: MINDSET: THE NEW PSYCHOLOGY OF SUCCESS